Wednesday, June 19, 2013

On forming your own opinions


Before you go see a movie, you will usually check out a review. If the review is positive, you’ll go see it. If it’s negative, you wont waste your time and money.

Movie reviews are great because movies, and the two or so hours of entertainment they bring, can be objectively good or bad. This isn’t to say that some people don’t like bad movies (I have a soft spot for low-budget, straight to DVD Sci-Fi), but generally a movie is good or it’s bad.

Colleges are not movies.

When you’re looking at schools you’re going to try to ask people who know. People who attended the school, or people who have visited. And while it is great to get opinions, and gather as much information as you can, this can also be a big disservice.

Because when it comes to colleges, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

There are thousands of colleges in the US alone. And there is a perfect fit for everyone. But there is no “one size fits all” approach.

Lets, for a brief minute, say that you are a crème de la crème student. Valedictorian, 2390, straight As, tons of awards, published author, charismatic, and teachers jumping over each other to write your recs.

You are going to be applying to crème de la crème schools. And though you could theoretically apply to those super-prestigious schools everyone is drooling over, you won’t even peek at a university. You want a small liberal arts college.

But everyone keeps telling you, “Oh they’re so boring” or “Oh it’s so isolating” or “Do you really want to go to a college the size of your high school?”

If you let everyone else’s opinions impact your choices, you might miss out on your perfect match because it wasn’t their perfect match.

You’re the type of student who would be much happier at Amherst than at Harvard, but if you let everyone else’s opinions get in the way, you’re going to miss your chance.

When I was touring schools, I had three separate people try to warn me away from my first choice (that school that I attend and am insanely happy with). One told me that it was too boring and too preppy. One told me that “It’s a decent safety school, but you could do better.” One told me that the work was too hard and grade deflation can kill you.
I still went, because I knew that it was perfect for me.

The same thing comes from hearing horror stories.

I can name two schools that I have advised people away from in the past. One is small and very good at what it does, but everyone I personally know who has gone there has transferred elsewhere within two years. But this is a sample size of three. If someone was a perfect match for this school, my horror story might change the way they think about it.

There’s another school that I know several graduates of, and not one of them was happy while they were there. And yet, it’s programs are so amazing for what it does that I can’t help but tell people I know would benefit from the program to look at it.

Because even though I know 5 or so people who were miserable, who’s to say it wasn’t someone’s perfect fit?

Make your own opinions, go look at the schools, find the “feel” that’s right for you.

Because, as great as a second opinion is, in the end it’s yours that matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment