Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Unpopular Opinion: A fresh start is (probably) not a big change


Everyone tells you that college is a great time for a fresh start. You’re in a new place, with new people, and the world is your oyster.

For many, this means that they are going to grab life and run with it. They know what they’re interested in, they join clubs similar to the ones they did in high school. They meet friends and go off on their merry way.

But for some, college is time to make a change. That pesky reputation from your small town doesn’t matter in a school of 8000 strangers. You got all new clothes. You’re going to join the clubs that websites like college prowler told you had the hottest people.

This, of course, lends itself to the stereotype of the formerly dorky high school kid who’s going to wear a fedora for the first month of school and think it makes them edgy. Yeah not so much.

While things definitely get better in college, you can’t really change your stripes.

Trust me, this is a lesson that’s often learned the hard way. You might seek out some kind of status, but you’re going to gravitate to the people who are like you. And you’re going to be happier with people who you like.

If you’re an introvert that’s part of who you are. Should you go out and meet people? Absolutely. But if after a few weeks of going out to frat parties three nights a week you’re exhausted, find some friends who like to hang out and have a more relaxing time. You should still push yourself to go out time to time (it is part of college), but you need to do what makes you happy.

The thing is, the parts of you are still going to be the same, but a fresh start can have you using your personality in a new way. The house is built, but you can always redecorate, so to speak.

I was a nerd in high school. I was always a nerd; I’ll always be a nerd. But at college that’s not everything about me. I’m known for being funny and sarcastic and enthusiastic. I’m also known for being a huge nerd at times, but, you know, sometimes you need to wear your Ninja Turtle Onsie on St. Patrick’s Day because they’re green and you comfortably fit into children’s clothes at 20, but I digress.

I’m a lot more comfortable in my skin at school. Because things get better with a fresh start.

I got to shed the terrible reputation I had in high school. I was opinionated and bossy, I was angry all the time. I was kind of mean because I was bullied so harshly when I was younger that I put up big walls.

So the pieces of me are still the same (20% nerdy obsession, 30% humor, 30% caring about my friends and passions, 20% caffeine), but without the background the more positive parts of my personality have come out. I’ve learned to use humor and my love of people for good. My personality didn’t change, but I did.

You’re going to change in college. That’s a fact. You’re going to grow and learn and become independent. But you’re still going to be you.

Even if you’re basically the same, things are different in high school. To be quite frank, nobody cares about reputation in college. There’s no popularity or cool table. You have your friends and your clubs, and that’s that. So you can let your freak flag fly and go after your passions.

A new start is a great thing. It will boil your personality down and build it back up. And you can build it back up into something great, something that’s well suited to the context. To a person you’re happier being.

But the parts of you are still going to be basically the same. So rock them, cultivate them, and make them awesome.

Appreciate the fresh start, but don’t expect miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment