Tuesday, June 25, 2013

FOUR-eign languages


(Excuse the terrible pun. I’m proud of it. It’s late at night)

So when it comes to schedules, there are a few “gold standard” classes you want to hit.

Among them is four years of a single foreign language.

I’ve talked about this before, but I’ll rehash some of the benefits.

Fourth year is indicative of a rigorous and complete schedule
Four years shows commitment to “world citizenship”
Many colleges will waive a language requirement for those who have taken the fourth year of a language.

So, in general, I will always tell you to take the fourth year of a language.

But, obviously, there is never a one-size-fits-all answer in college admissions.

So here are some of the reasons you might not take the fourth year of your language, and why they’re okay. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but these are the most common reasons.

Your School Doesn’t Offer It
Plain and simple. Some schools only have 2 or 3 years of a language. Maybe your school cut the program for funding. Maybe you moved and your new school doesn’t teach your language. No worries. Colleges do not expect you to take classes that don’t exist. So take up to the highest level you can, and that will look great.

Your School Only Offers a Level You Can’t Handle
This is another pretty common one. Some schools only offer AP, or an incredibly rigorous class for seniors.  And for many of us who aren’t as talented in languages, this could be a practice in self-inflicted torture. If you can’t handle the class, don’t take it. You’re better off kicking butt in your other classes than having a “D” senior year.

You are dropping it to take an extra, very rigorous, elective
This one is a little less clear cut. But in this case, you have to know yourself and know your passions. In this case I would strongly advise against it (I know I recently spoke to someone who wanted to drop Spanish 3 in favor of Latin, and convinced him otherwise), but if you can’t pass up the opportunity, don’t. Do what makes you happy.

You are dropping it to take an elective you are passionate about
Another one that’s less clear-cut. But if you cannot, for the life of you, imagine getting through the day without taking studio art, you have to do what’s best for you. Which might be not taking a language.

There is a scheduling error and you can’t fit it in
This one actually happened to me my senior year. I was signed up to take Dual-Enrollment Spanish, but there was no possible way to fit it in with my other electives. So I was given a choice, AP (which there was no way I could handle, I have no talent at languages) or regular. I signed up for regular (which was actually an awesome and really fun class). But I made sure that my guidance counselor noted it on my application that I wasn’t taking the more difficult class because of a scheduling error. If you tried and failed to get into the class, make sure it’s on your app.

I would say that the only wrong reason to drop your language is “I hate languages.”

Sorry, you’re in high school; you’re going to have to take things you don’t like.


So while I strongly advise that you take four years of a single foreign language, I know that it’s not going to work for everyone. So take some initiative, and pick the path that’s best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment