Thursday, January 24, 2013

THE TEST RITUAL


 Or: How to Calm Down on Test Day

Testing Week 2013! Today with some test taking tips!

Full Disclosure, I broke out into full-blown hives while taking the SAT for the first time. Why? The stress and pressure got to me.

But I did sit for 3 more of those scary tests (and 10 APs by the time I graduated high school) so… I got better!
And how did I get better?

By creating a test-day ritual.

There are a lot of really solid test taking tips out there, but they’re so common they venture on cliché.

We all know to get a good night’s rest, eat breakfast, and be prepared with pens and pencils the night before.

Here are some additional tips for big test days.

I do this for every test I take, even now when I’m in college. But it helped me to stop being so scared and stressed for standardized tests.

So here’s the test ritual

1.    Look and feel awesome.
Some of you may know that I’m a psychology major in college (which, as Community will tell us, means I’m basically a licensed therapist). But all kidding aside, I do a lot of research on test performance and things that effect people on cognitive tasks. A huge chunk of research indicates that when you think you look bad or sloppy, you perform worse on tasks.

But if you feel good about your looks, you performance can really shoot up.
I’m not saying you have to put on three inches of make up, wear a prom dress, and straighten your hair for an hour on test day. But brushing your hair and putting on clothes that you feel good in can make a huge difference.

For me? That meant taking a nice long shower, doing my hair, putting on a bit of eyeliner, and wearing a sweater-dress when I took the ACT. For you that could mean wearing jeans instead of sweatpants, or your favorite shirt that makes you feel awesome.

2.    Do something fun before the test.
Stressing out is sort of a given, but rolling into the test like a big ball of nerves isn’t going to help you succeed. Are you going to drive to the test? Make a mix of really fun lighthearted songs that you love, and sing (loudly) to them. Watch some funny videos on YouTube, read a passage from your favorite book. Anything that is guaranteed to make you smile will do. (This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8iOQ9zWP6A got me through finals last semester).

3.     Give yourself plenty of time in the morning.
I know this can be a huge pain for those of us who aren’t morning people, but really, give yourself time before the test. Wake up at least an hour before you plan on leaving the house, this will give you time for your fun activity, a good breakfast, and dress yourself. Having to rush around is going to stress you out. Leisurely getting ready will calm you down.

4.     Be excessively early
Another one that is hard for the non-morning people. But, trust me, there is nothing more stressful than sitting in traffic when you’re supposed to be taking the SAT. Plan on being at the testing place 15-30 minutes earlier than you’re expected to be. If you’re running late, it will give you that time. If you’re really that early? It gives you more time to A: Acclimate yourself to the environment you’re about to test in, and B: do something fun.

Also, in this early time, take a nice deep breath. Close your eyes, roll your shoulders back, stand up so straight it hurts, and take 10 really deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth.


5.     Have a test kit.

You know how on the first day of school all of those new pens and pencils kind of make you giddy?
You should re-capture this feeling every time you go in for a test.
Go buy a cheap pencil case in your favorite color at Staples (or Target or CVS or wherever). Go and buy a box of your favorite pencils (I like mechanical ones, but some people firmly believe in the solid yellow ones).
Take 5 of these pencils (or whatever your lucky number is, come on, you know you have one) and put them in the box.
Buy a few of your favorite black or blue pens and throw those in as well (1 or 2 will do the trick).
Buy a nice new gummy eraser, and if there are any cute silly erasers throw those in too.
Throw in some extra batteries for your calculator. I always had at least 2 sets even though I knew that was paranoid.
If you use a watch or a timer on tests (ACT takers especially) have that charged and ready to go.
Gum/Mints/Sucking Candy are excellent additions too.

Make sure your kit is ready the night before your test. You’ll feel safer and more prepared knowing you won’t have to scramble to find extras if you lose your things.

I also liked to put a little toy that would make me smile in the box, but that’s just me.


Other things that are good to bring:
A non-messy snack (I liked bringing bananas). A pack of tissues. WATER. A sweater in case the room is cold. A hair tie if you’re long haired.
Also you need an ID. 
Bring your phone if you’re not driving yourself, but TURN IT OFF.


If you have any luck-rituals, definitely do those. I have a pair of PJs that I widely consider to be lucky that I MUST wear the night before I do something important. Some people have a necklace or shoes or something. Maybe they say a phrase to themselves to calm their nerves.

This is your test ritual, and you need to own it. Make it your own. Get into the test-taking zone like the awesome person you are. If you’re in the mindset for success you will succeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment